Truckee Meadows Community College (TMCC) welcomes its next series of art galleries which will be on display beginning Friday, March 2 through Thursday, March 29. An artist reception will be held on Friday, March 2 from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. at the TMCC Main Art Gallery in the student center. Additionally, a special presentation will be given by the creators of the exhibit “Common Fate” at 6:30 p.m. Refreshments will be served and the reception is free and open to the public.
- The TMCC Main Art Gallery will feature “Common Fate” curated by Tamara Scronce, UNR Master of Fine Arts Graduate Director and Professor of Sculpture. The Gestalt principle of “Common Fate” is vital to the perception of how the things around us are or are not related to one another. This exhibition features seven unlikely comrades drawn together by the circumstance of studio art practice and study at the University of Nevada, Reno. Humans tend to perceive elements moving in the same direction as being more related than elements that are stationary or move in different directions. The forceful diversity of these artists presents an unexpected confluence of contrast and synchronicity that both confirms and resists “common fate.” Jeff Erickson, Katy Govan, Ahren Hertel, Andrea Juillerat-Olvera, Kim Musser, Jeremy Stern and Peter Whittenberger completed their Master of Fine Arts degrees at the University of Nevada, Reno.
- The Red Mountain Gallery will feature selections from TMCC’s Permanent Art Collection.
- The Red Mountain Student Gallery will feature “Living Souls”—paintings by TMCC student, Jean Woo.
- The Erik Lauritzen Gallery will feature photographs from TMCC’s Permanent Art Collection.
- The Meadowood Center Galleries will feature “TMCC Highlights Art Foundations”—student work produced in Art 100 and 101 classes.