American Heart Association celebrates February Heart Month with Go Red for Women
Red will be the color in Northern Nevada on National Wear Red Day, Friday, Feb. 3, and throughout the next few weeks to celebrate Heart Month.
Hundreds of women and men will wear red and a number of local buildings and establishments will “go red” to make a statement against heart disease and support the American Heart Association’s Go Red for Women. The Go Red movement educates women about the deadly disease and empowers them to take positive action to reduce their risk.
Several Go Red events and activities will take place in Northern Nevada throughout the month of February:
- Jan. 30-Feb.29: The Grand Sierra Resort will be illuminated red all month in support of National Wear Red Day and Heart Month.
- Jan. 30-Feb.29: UNR has turned the Community Health Science Hallway into a memorial for those who have lost someone to Heart Disease. During February’s Heart Month Students, Faculty and Staff can write the names of loved ones on hearts that line the hallway’s walls.
- Feb. 1-5: National sponsor Macy’s will be giving a 20% discount to all customers wearing red, or customers can purchase a red dress pin for $2 to receive the “wearing red” discount.
- Feb. 3: Pegs Glorified Ham and Eggs will be turning their pancakes red. All three locations will have red pancakes and 100% of the proceeds will go to the American Heart Association.
- Feb. 3: CommRow will be holding a raffle and all proceeds will be given back to the American Heart Association.
- Feb. 1 – Feb. 15: Ross will be selling hearts in support of Heart Month and Wear Red Day. You can purchase a heart in the following denominations, $1, $5, $20. The Sparks store, on North McCarran, is #13 in the Nation for percent of sales.
- Feb. 11 – Scheels and REMSA are teaming up in support of Wear Red Day and National Heart Month to support the American Heart Association through a free community event. Their annual “Save a Heart” event will run from 10:00am-2:00pm and will feature heart healthy activities throughout the store.
- Feb. 1-29, Other Businesses Going Red: Renown Health, IGT, Employers, Northern Nevada Medical Center, Saint Mary’s Regional Medical Center, Carson Tahoe Regional Healthcare, The Glenn Group, NV Energy, AT&T, Sierra Surgery Hospital, Plumas Bank.