SUBMITTED NEWS RELEASE
Voters for Sensible Growth and the Hobson Gallery are teaming up for this year’s annual Winnemucca Ranch Art Show. The show’s opening reception will be held Thursday, November 17 from 6 to 9 pm. The Hobson Gallery is located at 315 Spokane St, Suite 2 in Reno. The show will continue until November 27. Proceeds from the event will help protect wild lands at Winnemucca Ranch, off the Mt. Rose Highway, and in Washoe Valley. Proceeds also benefit the artists and the Hobson Gallery, which is the type of sensible growth the organization supports: revitalization of our downtown core. Participating artists include Jean LeGassick, recently chosen as one of six artists filmed for the PBS series, “Plein-Air: Painting the American Landscape,” and photographer Sally Hanrahan, who recently won two categories in the Great Nevada Picture Hunt.
The art show serves a dual purpose:
- fund VSG’s efforts to preserve open space and prevent cities from leapfrogging into outlying areas
- showcase the work of talented artists interpreting the stunning landscapes of Northern Nevada.
Artists participating in this year’s show include:
- Mark Hammon /Photographer http://www.hammonphoto.com/
- Emma Auriemma/Oil http://emmaauriemmaartwork.com/
- Shawna Baker and Brian Amme / Acrylic
- Pat Wallis / Oil on copper http://www.patwallis.com/index.html
- Sally Hanrahan/ Photographer, http://www.sallyhanrahanphotography.com/Home/Welcome.html
- Erik Holland / Oil http://hollandrenoartist.com/id3.html
- Luverne Lightfoot/Oil http://luvernelightfoot.com/
- Judy Hilbish / Acrylic
- ‘Lady’ Jill Mueller / Watercolor http://www.ladyjill.com/
- Carol Grigus/Oil http://www.carolgrigus.com/
- Jeffrey D Johnson / Watercolor
- Joe Winter /Pottery http://joewinterpottery.com/
- Valerie P. Cohen/ Watercolor http://valeriepcohen.com/index.html
- Jean LaGassick/Oil http://jeanlegassick.com/
- Marguerite Crokus/Oil
- Mike Hess/Acrylic http://www.artistsco-opgalleryreno.com/www.artistsco-opgalleryreno.com/MIKE_HESS.html
- Vivian Olds/photographer, granddaughter of Sarah Olds, who homesteaded the ranch and wrote “20 Miles from a Match”
Voters for Sensible Growth is a local non-profit organization, fighting for the preservation of open space and the revitalization of our urban core. We oppose leapfrog annexation, where cities expand into rural areas by “leaping” over undesirable land. This leads to building in new areas far from the core of the city. This practice creates urban sprawl and is a burden to our infrastructure for water, transportation and public safety. We support sustainable, smart growth that makes wise use of our infrastructure, protects our environment and enhances the Northern Nevada lifestyle. Our support of urban renewal is exemplified by the Hobson Gallery, a new gallery in the expanding E 4th Street entertainment corridor. For more information about Voters for Sensible Growth, visit our website at: http://www.votersforsensiblegrowth.com/. For more information about the art show, contact Erik Holland at [email protected] or call the Hobson Gallery at (775) 636-2675.