SUBMITTED NEWS RELEASE
CARSON CITY – Yesterday the Governor’s Sunset Task Force issued its final report to Governor Brian Sandoval. Chaired by former Senator Bill Raggio, the task force was established to review the necessity of existing nonstatutory Executive Branch advisory bodies created by prior governors or department heads. Other members of the task force included former Senators Bernice Mathews and Ann O’Connell.
“I thank Senators Raggio, Mathews and O’Connell for their diligent work on behalf of Nevada’s citizens,” Sandoval said. “The recommendations they have put forth will help increase transparency and accountability in state government, and help set the stage for my administration to work closely with the Legislature on future sunset reviews provided by recent legislation.”
The members of the Sunset Task Force voted unanimously to recommend that Sandoval issue new executive orders to continue, create and eliminate various councils, commissions, task forces and similar bodies.
The governor will accept the Task Force’s recommendations to eliminate 18 committees, councils, commissions and task forces; continue eight existing councils, commissions and task forces; and create one committee and one task force.
The 18 committees, councils, commissions and task forces Sandoval will eliminate are:
- The Nevada Interagency Council on Homelessness
- The Strategic Plan for People with Disabilities Accountability Committee
- The Strategic Plan for Rural Health Care Accountability Committee
- The Strategic Plan for Senior Services Accountability Committee
- Governor’s Advisory Committee on Radiation Effects
- Governor’s Management Task Force
- Commission on Minority Business Enterprises
- Governor’s Word Processing Committee
- Governor’s Task Force on Employment Training
- Governor’s Small Business Council
- Governor’s Literacy Coalition Advisory Council
- >Governor’s Committee on Volunteers and Volunteering
- Information Services Policy Committee
- Commission on Workplace Safety and Community Protection
- State Year 2000 Coordinating Council
- Governor’s Appeal Hearings Board for State of Nevada’s Self-Funded Insurance Program
- Silver Source Steering Committee
- Governor’s Committee on Employment of People with Disabilities.
The Task Force also made additional recommendations to include elements such as an expiration date and a requirement to comply with Nevada’s Open Meeting Law in future Executive Orders which create a council, commission, task force or similar body.
The Task Force’s full recommendations, as well as minutes of their May and June meetings, can be found on the governor’s website.