CALIENTE, Nev. – A bicycle challenge is coming to eastern Nevada October 8 and will take cyclists through some of the most diverse landscapes, towns and state parks in eastern Nevada during the first-annual State Parks Century Ride.
Riders can participate in one of three rides:
- The 103-mile Extreme starts at Kershaw-Ryan State Park and takes peddlers through the towns of Caliente and Pioche and three other state parks: Cathedral Gorge, Echo Canyon and Spring Valley – then back to Kershaw-Ryan.
- The 38-mile Double Helix is for riders who want to participate but are not ready for a century. This ride goes from Kershaw-Ryan to Cathedral Gorge State Park and back again.
- The Family Fun Ride allows riders to enjoy the changing colors and scenery while pedaling on the pavement through Kershaw-Ryan State Park. This is a free ride that is perfect for children and anyone who wants to get out and enjoy the day.
WHAT: Park to Park Pedal-Nevada Extreme 100 Bicycle Challenge
WHEN: Saturday, October 8.
REGISTRATION: Pre-registration is required online at http://www.lincolncountynevada.com/Lincoln-County-Nevada-Pedal.html
Pre-registered rider check-in takes place Friday, October 7, from 5:30 p.m. until 7 p.m. at Kershaw-Ryan State Park on Highway 317 in Caliente. Same day registration is the morning of the ride, Saturday, October 8 at Kershaw-Ryan State Park, from 6:30 a.m. to 7:30 a.m.
Ride Start Times
- 103-mile Extreme is from 7:30 a.m. to 8:00 a.m.
- 38-mile Double Helix is from 8:00 a.m. to 8:30 a.m.
- Family Fun Ride is from 9:30 a.m. to 10 a.m.
WHERE: The ride starts and finishes at beautiful Kershaw-Ryan State Park situated in colorful and scenic Rainbow Canyon in Caliente, Nevada, located from the following areas:
- Three-and-a-half hours northeast of Las Vegas (I-15 N to U.S.-93 N to NV-317)
- Two hours west of Cedar City, Utah (UT-56 W to U.S.-93 S to NV-317)
- Two hours northwest of St. George, Utah (UT-18 N to UT-56 W to U.S.-93 S to NV-317).
WHO: The event is open to the public and is sponsored by the Lincoln Communities Action Team and Nevada State Parks.
COST: The non-refundable registration fee of $55 includes one t-shirt and one Dutch Oven dinner per participant. Pre-register online at http://www.lincolncountynevada.com/Lincoln-County-Nevada-Pedal.html
CONTACT: Call 1-877-870-3003 or 775-728-4460, or email: [email protected]
MORE: Camping is available at all area parks: Kershaw-Ryan, Cathedral Gorge, Beaver Dam, Echo Canyon and Spring Valley. Motels are available in Caliente.