Home > News > Sandoval issues executive order to review commissions

Sandoval issues executive order to review commissions

By ThisIsReno

By Andrew Doughman, Nevada News Bureau: Gov. Brian Sandoval has created a task force charged with reviewing executive branch advisory bodies.

The governor has asked three former state senators to identify, evaluate and recommend whether groups created by former governors or state agencies should continue.

“Advisory bodies were last reviewed in 1977, and some advisory bodies have outlived their original mission and no longer provide valuable service for the people of the state of Nevada,” Sandoval said.

Identifying and eliminating some of these groups could save the state money. So far, the governor’s office knows of 43 such bodies.

Bill Raggio, R-Reno, Bernice Mathews, D-Reno, and Ann O’Connell, R-Las Vegas are the three former Senators comprising the task force.

None of the former senators are taking compensation for doing this work. The governor’s staff will assist the three former legislators in their work.

The governor released an executive order creating the “Sunset Task Force” this morning.

The group will meet publicly three times, finish their work by June 30 of this year and submit a report to Sandoval by July 15 of this year, according to the executive order.

The governor’s group mirrors several bills moving through the Legislature that would review boards and commission created by statute.

Assemblywoman Debbie Smith, D-Sparks, has worked with the governor’s staff to craft a bill that would identify and review boards that the Legislature created.

Smith said there are 160 to 180 commissions that the Legislature would review should the bill pass into law.

The governor’s executive order and the bill in the Legislature are complementary, but cannot overlap since each branch of government has separate powers.

Never miss a story

Get independent Reno news headlines in your inbox five days a week.

Email field is required to subscribe.