SUBMITTED NEWS RELEASE
A new physician at Renown Regional Medical Center will help patients who require specialized neurological care to stay in the area to receive vital treatments. Rajesh Rangaswamy, MD, of Reno Radiological Associates has been named medical director of neurointerventional service at Renown Regional.
Neurointerventional service, also known as interventional neuroradiology, uses minimally invasive procedures to deliver a variety of treatments for patients who need them, including:
· stroke treatment with clot-busting drugs that go directly to the site of the blockage
· aneurysm therapy by inserting platinum coils into the aneurysm bulge to prevent clotting and rupture
· spinal treatments by injecting cement into a fractured vertebra in order to reinforce the bone
As the region’s only dedicated neurointerventionalist, Rangaswamy possesses a level of skill and expertise not previously found in northern Nevada. He’ll combine that with the leading-edge technology at Renown Regional to help patients and their families whose lives have been affected by stroke and other neurological conditions. That technology includes:
· x-ray fluoroscopy, “real-time” x-ray technology to monitor movement inside the body
· angiography, the injection of x-ray contrast or “dye” to obtain pictures of blood vessel anatomy
· CT and MRI, which allows physicians to visualize their operative procedures without making a skin incision to see inside the body. This means less risk, less pain and a faster recovery for patients.
This Is Reno is your source for award-winning independent, online Reno news and events since 2009. We are locally owned and operated.