CORRECTED NEWS RELEASE FROM TRUCKEE RIVER FLOOD PROJECT
A historic Catholic Church bell that currently resides on Truckee River Flood Project property will be returned to its former home at the Holy Family Parish in Yerington this week.
The 2,000-pound historic steel bell is over 145 years old. It was originally cast in Sheffield, England, and brought over to the United States by the Catholic Church. The bell found its way to the St. Patrick’s Parish Church in Gold Hill in 1867. The church remained active from 1867 until its closure in 1912. After its closure, the bell was relocated to the Holy Family Parish of the Roman Catholic Church in Yerington, where the bell resided until 1960.
In 1960, the bell was relocated to the home of the Brothers of the Holy Rosary and former Bishop Manogue Catholic High School, then owned by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Reno. It was placed in a new bell tower fronting East McCarran Boulevard (currently the site of the Bristlecone Family Resources Treatment Center), where it still stands today.
The Catholic Church property on McCarran was sold to the Truckee River Flood Project in 2007 to become part of the Living River Parkway, a project to terrace river lands to create flood water storage as well as a planned site for a new regional flood park. The Flood Project has been watching over the bell the past three years and is honored to participate in helping return it to its historic place.
In May 2011, the Catholic Church will celebrate two major milestones with the 75th anniversary of the current Catholic Church and the 110th anniversary of the foundation of the Holy Family Parish which started in 1901. The Catholic Church had hoped the bell could be relocated back to its original home in Yerington for inclusion in their celebration, and the Flood Project is delighted to help make that happen.
The historic bell is scheduled to be removed from the Bristlecone property on East McCarran Boulevard Wednesday at 7 a.m. and will be transported back to Yerington for the celebration and to a familiar place it will once again call home.
For more information contact Mimi Fujii Strickler at 775-850-7431.