Candidate will meet with University of Nevada students today in Reno
LAS VEGAS– This morning Rory Reid released his plan for improving our colleges and making higher education an economic engine. He will be discussing the plan with University of Nevada students today, September 23, at 2:30 p.m.
Rory Reid event
Thursday, September 23
University of Nevada, Reno
Joe Crowley Student Union
The event is open to media and Rory will be available for individual interviews.
A first-class higher education system that supports business, research and technology transfer can be a cornerstone of our economy. Our universities and colleges can feed businesses the workers and technology they need to prosper.
It’s time we made our universities and colleges among the best places in the nation to study and learn – and to innovate and invent. As governor, Rory will make attracting and retaining the best minds and the most cutting-edge technology a fundamental state policy. And he will make a commitment to a stable level of state funding allocated to higher education.
• Allowing campuses to keep increased tuition and fee revenues, and allowing them to raise tuition and fees for non-resident students.
• Allowing universities and colleges to charge differential tuition for competitive programs that cost more to provide, such as nursing and engineering.
• Endowing the Millennium Scholarship program to ensure access for future generations and keep many of our brightest minds in state.
• Building capacity in areas with the greatest potential for economic growth, like transportation, shipping and logistics; renewable energy development and biomedical research.
• Boosting research and development hand-in-hand with economic growth. University research should translate directly to new inventions, jobs and businesses.
• Establishing closer ties between employers and educational institutions to ensure that degrees and training programs offered meet anticipated employment needs.
Rory knows we can do more to encourage 21st Century businesses to settle in Nevada and utilize the cutting-edge research and human resources generated by our universities and colleges.
Within Rory’s first month as governor, he will hold a higher education summit with the chancellor, members of the Board of Regents, university and college presidents, faculty and student leaders, to work with them on a vision to forge bold changes to our higher education system.
Rory Reid is the only candidate for governor to offer solutions for today and a plan for Nevada’s future success – supporting strong schools for a stronger economy. For more information about Rory’s campaign or to download his plans — visit Rory2010.com.
This Is Reno is your source for award-winning independent, online Reno news and events since 2009. We are locally owned and operated.