55.2 F

Opinion: Brian Sandoval fails ‘math test,’ would cut $533 million from education



roryreid-150x150-7986180-7187036There’s a reason Brian Sandoval would not defend himself at last night’s debate when confronted with the simple fact that he wants to cut $533 million from our children’s schools.

It’s because it’s true. Brian Sandoval wants to cut more money from our struggling education system than even Jim Gibbons, a man with a truly shameful record on raiding our schools funds.

In Sandoval’s own words: “I’m not going to question your math, Rory. This isn’t a math test, it’s about education.”

Here’s the math to Brian Sandoval’s agenda – in his own plan, written in black and white. And, yes, it is all about education.

$110 million ripped from class-size reduction programs, particularly targeting 7- and 8-year-olds.


$133 million taken from teachers’ pockets for a 4 percent pay cut to those responsible for educating our children.


$190 million more taken from teachers’ salaries in an attempt to balance the state’s budget on the backs of our teachers and schools.


$100 million stolen for a voucher program that would help only the 4 percent of Nevada children attending private school, leaving the other 96 percent out of luck.


TOTAL: $533 million cut from education

Rory Reid is the only candidate for governor to offer solutions for today and a plan for Nevada’s future success–supporting strong schools for a stronger economy. For more information about his campaign or to download his plan, visit Rory2010.com.

This Is Reno is your source for award-winning independent, online Reno news and events since 2009. We are locally owned and operated.




NSHE announces Brian Sandoval as new UNR president

The Nevada System of Higher Education today announced former Nevada Governor and University of Nevada, Reno, alumnus Brian Sandoval as the institution’s new president.