SUBMITTED NEWS RELEASE
* “I am the one candidate who understands that strong schools are the key to a stronger economy–with real plans to transform our education system and bring new industry to our state,” Reid said. “This is a sharp contrast with my opponent, who is only proposing more of the same Jim Gibbons-style leadership, including devastating cuts to education.”
* “We will never have a first-rate economy if we continue to accept second-rate schools,” Reid said. “Businesses will not come to Nevada if we aren’t producing the workforce they need. Executives and workers will not come to Nevada if we don’t provide good schools for their children.”
* “My opponent has a very different approach,” Reid said. “Just like Jim Gibbons, Brian Sandoval wants to balance the budget on the backs of our children, jeopardizing our future, and I won’t stand for it. So that’s what’s at stake, and I’m 100 percent committed to the fight.”
* Brian Sandoval proposes slashing teacher salaries by 20 percent or laying off more than 5,000 teachers.
* Brian Sandoval proposes diverting $110 million from class-size reduction programs, particularly targeting 7- and 8-year-olds in Clark County.
* Brian Sandoval pushes a voucher program that would drain millions from our public schools and wouldn’t even begin to cover tuition for the average private school.
* And Brian Sandoval doesn’t stop with K-12. Brian calls for a 12 percent cut to faculty and staff at our colleges and universities–that’s more than 750 professor and staff jobs lost.
* Reid’s EDGE plan will transform education in our state. It gets bureaucracy out of the way. It empowers teachers and principals to innovate. And the plan provides incentives for performance and accountability for success.
* Reid’s EDGE plan is cost neutral. When similar fundamental changes have been implemented in places like Oakland, New York City and Boston, they have reduced administrative costs by 10-20 percent. If we save just 10 percent here in Nevada, we will realize savings of $220 million a year that we can reinvest in our classrooms.
Reid is the only candidate for governor to offer solutions for today and a plan for Nevada’s future success–supporting strong schools for a stronger economy. For more information about Reid’s campaign or to download his plans, visit Rory2010.com.