SUBMITTED NEWS RELEASE
Keeping northern Nevada’s children safe and healthy will be the focus at the Sun Valley Health and Safety Fair this Saturday, May 1 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Sun Valley Neighborhood Center, 115 West Sixth Avenue. The free event, organized by the Northern Nevada Immunization Coalition, Safe Kids Washoe County, Nevada Covering Kids and Families, Virginia Palmer Elementary School, Rotary Club of Reno Sunrise and Sun Valley Family Resource Center, will offer a variety of educational booths, materials and activities for both parents and children. As part of “Give Kids a Boost Week,” free immunizations will be available (while supplies last) through the Saint Mary’s Kids to Seniors Korner program, as well as free booster seats and bike helmets from Safe Kids Washoe County (also while supplies last).
“This event is an important part of our ‘Give Kids a Boost Week’, which aims at increasing awareness about providing healthy, safe programs for our children,” said Heidi Hurst, regional director of the Northern Nevada Immunization Coalition. “We are delighted to join our community partners in bringing vaccines and childhood safety information to families in northern Nevada. Offering so many important services at one event really makes it easy for families to access some of the incredible services offered by our partners.”
Those seeking immunizations are encouraged to arrive early, as supplies are limited. A color-coded wristband system will be implemented on a first-come, first-served basis to help manage crowds and lines during the event.
The event will feature more than 35 vendors and includes the following highlights and activities:
- Free immunizations will be offered on a first come, first served basis, through Saint Mary’s Kids to Seniors Korner program and the Northern Nevada Immunization Coalition.
- Parents can find out if their children are up-to-date on their shots (bring your child’s immunization record for review), get their questions answered about the seasonal flu and H1N1, vaccines, and learn about Nevada’s immunization registry, Nevada WebIZ.
- Free booster seats and bike helmets will be distributed to children on a first come, first served basis.
- Kids can discover proper hand washing and coughing techniques, bicycle and water safety, and more.
- Information from Nevada Covering Kids and Families will be available for families wishing to apply for public health programs for their uninsured children.
- A Kiwanis Bike Rodeo course will be set-up.
For a complete list of participants and more information about “Give Kids a Boost Week” activities, please visit www.ImmunizeNevada.org, www.usa.safekids.org or contact Heidi Hurst at (775) 770-6713 or [email protected]