59.2 F

Waterfowl hunters need reservations



ndowlogoHunters planning to bag a few ducks or geese at the Key Pittman and Overton Wildlife Management Areas on opening day of their respective seasons will need to make reservations ahead of time. At Key Pittman, reservations are needed only on opening day of the duck and goose seasons. At Overton, however, reservations are required for both the goose and the duck season openers and for the remainder of the waterfowl season.

This year the duck and goose seasons both open Saturday, Oct. 17 at Key Pittman, while only goose opens at Overton. The Nevada Department of Wildlife (NDOW) will begin taking reservations for both management areas at 8 a.m., Monday, Oct., 12 at its Las Vegas and Henderson offices or at the appropriate management area.

The maximum hunter capacity on a season opener at Key Pittman is 55 hunters at any time. Hunters must check in and out at the main entrance and park only in designated areas. Following the season opener at Key Pittman, hunters need only to obtain reservation cards at the Frenchy Lake or Nesbitt Lake check stations prior to hunting. This card must be completed and returned to the check station after hunters are done for the day.

Duck season at the Overton WMA opens Saturday, Oct. 31. NDOW will begin taking reservations for Overton at 8 a.m., Monday, Oct. 26 at the agency’s Las Vegas and Henderson offices and at the Overton WMA. When making a reservation for Overton, an individual hunter may reserve one assigned hunt location for himself and three other individuals, and that reservation must be used before reserving another hunt day. Hunters with reservations for Overton must check in no later than 1½ hours before legal shooting time. Those who fail to do so will be considered a no show and their hunt location will be given to someone on the standby list.

The Nevada Department of Wildlife (NDOW) protects, restores and manages fish and wildlife, and promotes fishing, hunting, and boating safety. NDOW’s wildlife and habitat conservation efforts are primarily funded by sportsmen’s license and conservation fees and a federal surcharge on hunting and fishing gear. Support wildlife and habitat conservation in Nevada by purchasing a hunting, fishing, or combination license. For more information, visit www.ndow.org.

Bob Conrad
Bob Conradhttp://thisisreno.com
Bob Conrad is publisher, editor and co-founder of This Is Reno. He has served in communications positions for various state agencies and earned a doctorate in educational leadership from the University of Nevada, Reno in 2011. He is also a part time instructor at UNR and sits on the boards of the Nevada Press Association and Nevada Open Government Coalition.