RPD NEWS RELEASE
From the beginning of the Reno Police Department’s Internal Affairs review, and throughout the recent media inquiries regarding allegations by former Sergeant Jim Stegmaier, the Reno Police Department has and will continue to demonstrate to our community that the department is transparent while respecting the rights of all involved parties, and further that we value the trust of the community we serve. With this in mind, the following information and related decision is provided for release to the public:
- The Reno Police Department directed an investigation into allegations against Deputy Chief David Evans the first week of July 2012. To date the investigative process has involved collecting information, taking statements and examining evidence regarding those allegations. Deputy Chief David Evans has not been interviewed yet, but will be in the near future.
- On July 5, 2012 and July 20, 2012, Mr. Stegmaier’s attorney, Mr. McKenna, was requested to provide original copies of the tapes so they could be forensically examined to determine if the tapes are: (1) legitimate, complete and unaltered, (2) lawfully obtained and (3) if the tapes meet legal requirements for evidence. To date, Mr. McKenna has not responded to these requests and the Reno Police Department does not yet have possession of the original tapes to perform the forensic analysis. Currently, the only tapes provided to the City are incomplete, edited versions of alleged conversations between Jim Stegmaier and Deputy Chief David Evans.
- Considering information in recent media reports including media references to taped comments allegedly made by Deputy Chief David Evans, it is in the best interests of the community, the Reno Police Department and all involved parties that Deputy Chief Evans has been placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of this investigation.
Latest posts by ThisIsReno (see all)
- City of Reno Open House event offers variety of free recreation activities - September 19, 2014
- Sheriff’s Search and Rescue Teams search for missing hunter north of Reno - September 19, 2014
- BLM upset with drones near wildfires - September 17, 2014
- Summer “Farm to School” at Boys and Girls Club in Dayton - September 17, 2014