SCOTT KELLEY NEWS RELEASE
Kelley, 35, is the sales manager for Allegra Printing, a trustee on the Washoe County School Board and member of local boards and committees focused on education, finance and economic development. He has lived in Nevada since 1992.
“I have a clear vision for city of Reno and will take the strategic steps needed to help rebuild our economy, attract new visitors to our region and reaffirm why Northern Nevada is an amazing place to live,” Kelley said. “I will bring strong leadership and unshakeable optimism to the Reno City Council.”
Kelley listed initiatives he wants to pursue on the Reno City Council:
* Focus Reno’s Charter on the most essential services local citizens expect and deserve.
* Increase government efficiency at all levels.
* Establish a match fund that strengthens Reno’s grant writing department and increases funding for fire and police protection.
* Establish annual Reno Economic Development fund that awards grants that focus on job creation and tie in with regional economic development strategies.
* Introduce ordinances that clean-up downtown Reno and make it safer to visit and more attractive to businesses.
* Stabilize Reno’s revenue and expenditure structure by working with legislators at the 2013 / 2015 Nevada legislative sessions.
“Reno’s citizens need clean and safe neighborhoods, an infrastructure that enhances economic vitality and government that can tackle the major regional issues,” Kelley said. “My job as a Reno City Councilman is to help make this happen.”
Kelley is finishing a successful term on the school board during which WCSD increased graduation rates 14 percent and closed achievement gaps, despite making $136 million in painful cuts. “Government efficiency is possible, and necessary. We did it at WCSD.”
“The community supported WCSD’s reform efforts, and today WCSD is a more efficient and high-achieving district,” Kelley added. “Congrats to the students for stepping up their game and performing so well.”
Scott is married to Brooke Morgan Westlake. They have a son, Grant, 2 years old.
City council resume
* 11 years U.S. Military
* 5 years small business owner (Northern Nevada Real Estate Photography)
* 4 years UNR graduate – Journalism
* 3.5 years WCSD Board of Trustees (current)
* 2.5 years Allegra Printing sales manager (current)
* 3 years RTC Citizen Advisory Committee
* 1-2 years WCSD Bond, Financial, Investment and Legislative Committees (current)
* 1 year Reno Ward 4 NAB (current)
* 1 year Renown Citizen Advisory Committee (current)
* 1 year Joint Government Shared Services Committee (current)
* 2012 Reno City Council at-large (in-progress)
* 2008 WCSD School Board District E (65% of vote)
* 2006 Reno City Council Ward 4 (43% of vote)