The 15th annual Great Backyard Bird Count (GBBC) takes place February 17 – 20. It is the perfect opportunity to enjoy nature and be a citizen-scientist. This study helps scientists better define bird ranges, populations, migration pathways and habitat needs.
Wild Birds Unlimited is the major sponsor of this joint project between the Cornell Lab of Ornithology, Bird Studies Canada and the National Audubon Society. Individuals, families, schools and organizations are encouraged to count birds at bird feeders and in backyards, local parks or other locations. Those tallies are then reported online through the BirdSource website at www.birdsource.org/gbbc
The BirdSource website is a revolutionary partnership between citizens and scientists. It gives participants almost instantaneous feedback through graphics, animated maps and other regularly-updated information.
The GBBC is a fun and educational way to get kids excited about birds and nature. Kids are encouraged to participate in the count. To learn more and get additional activities for kids, visit the GBBC Website (http://www.birdsource.org/
Results from the 2011 Count
- · More than 92,000 checklists were submitted. 2011 is the third year in a row that checklists have topped 90,000.
- · 11,471,951 individual birds were counted. The Northern Cardinal was reported on the most checklists, followed by the Mourning Dove.
- · The counts for the American Crow were up, the first time in eight years. Crows were hit hard by the West Nile virus starting in 1999.
For more information about the Great Backyard Bird Count, call or stop by the Wild Birds Unlimited store located within each Moana Nursery location: 1100 W. Moana Lane (825-0600); 11301 S. Virginia Street (853-1319); 7655 Pyramid Highway (425-4300); or visitwww.reno.wbu.com
Wild Birds Unlimited, located in Reno and Sparks is part of the original and largest franchise system of backyard bird feeding and nature specialty stores with more than 275 locations throughout the United States and Canada. Wild Birds Unlimited specializes in bringing people and nature together with bird feeding and nature products, expert advice and educational events.
Latest posts by ThisIsReno (see all)
- Black Rock Rendezvous Being Held May 22-25, 2015 - May 4, 2015
- City Holding Budget Workshop Tomorrow - May 4, 2015
- St. Mary’s to Open New 46,000 Square-Foot Medical Clinic in November 2015 - May 4, 2015
- Man Found Murdered Near the Truckee River - May 4, 2015